Desperately Seeking ______________ on Sale...

What are you desperately seeking on sale?


Food Therapy

Good food is as satisfying as a good sale. So from time to time (probably more than that because I'm a foodie and I love to eat), I'll be providing some food therapy. Be forewarned, I'm an adventurous eater with a HUGE sweet tooth. If you're in NYC, I hope you try some of these spots. If you do, LMK what you think. Bon appetit!

Video Reviews

While picture reveals of bags are nice. Video reviews of bags are better! As such, I will endeavor to post as many video reviews of bags as possible. However, I will only be reviewing bags that I like. Life is too short to review bags that I dislike. Plus, at the end of the day, it really is just a matter of personal opinion/taste.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/user/SaleTherapy.

9.22.2010

Prescription-Strength Hydroquinone: Not Covered By Insurance But Still Cheaper Than Whitening Beauty Products

Last week, I went to a follow-up appointment with my oral surgeon.  I went in knowing that he was going to admonish me for getting a tan on my recent trip to Bermuda.  And yes, he did admonish me.  He re-stressed to me that tanning and scarring don't mix.  Basically, he was thinking, "What the hell was she thinking??"  

I was really good the entire summer.  I avoided tanning and I used sunblock every day.  But when I'm on vacation, I just can't help it.   I like to tan when on vacation.  I still use sunblock but when you're on the beach, you tan.  KWIM?  

So what did this mean for me?  Before I could start my laser resurfacing treatment to correct the scarring below my lower lip, I had to lighten up the scar area.  My doctor prescribed to me prescription-strength hydroquinone (4%) - the generic version.

Much to my surprise, prescription-strength hydroquinone - even the generic version - is usually NOT covered by insurance.  Cash price for generic hydroquinone cream (4%) was $43.  Okay...this is not a huge amount of money, but what the heck am I paying my health insurance company for?  Per the pharmacist, hydroquinone is considered a cosmetic prescription, so most health insurance plans do not cover it.  I argued that I needed it for corrective purposes, not cosmetic but it fell on deaf ears.

I've been using the bleaching cream for a few days now... and not just on the scarring below my lower lip but also on a dark spot on my left leg.  I don't know about the scarring below my lower lip, but the dark spot on my left leg has lightened in a most dramatic manner.

What's the point of this post?  If you're out there buying over-the-counter bleaching products to lighten darks spots, consider going to your dermatologist for prescription-strength hydroquinone. Even at $43, there's a good chance that it's still cheaper than whitening beauty products from a department store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Some, Get Some...

Are you looking a particular style or item? Let me know (saletherapy@gmail.com) and I will post your request so that everyone can help you find your sale!

Have you seen a style or item on sale that someone else is looking for? Don't be stingy and share the wealth! Let me know so that I can post it.