Desperately Seeking ______________ on Sale...

What are you desperately seeking on sale?


Food Therapy

Good food is as satisfying as a good sale. So from time to time (probably more than that because I'm a foodie and I love to eat), I'll be providing some food therapy. Be forewarned, I'm an adventurous eater with a HUGE sweet tooth. If you're in NYC, I hope you try some of these spots. If you do, LMK what you think. Bon appetit!

Video Reviews

While picture reveals of bags are nice. Video reviews of bags are better! As such, I will endeavor to post as many video reviews of bags as possible. However, I will only be reviewing bags that I like. Life is too short to review bags that I dislike. Plus, at the end of the day, it really is just a matter of personal opinion/taste.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/user/SaleTherapy.

7.14.2010

Fire Island: Great One-Day Beach Trip!!

About 2 weeks ago, Sunshine and I did a day trip to Ocean Beach at Fire Island.  I wanted a quiet, relaxing day at the beach, so I chose Fire Island.  No cars, clean beaches, a choice of restaurants and a casual atmosphere. Ocean Beach sounded like the right town for us.

LIRR offers Beach Getaway packages to the Fire Island.  You pick the town you want to visit for the day and purchase the package for that town.  The Ocean Beach package was $30 per person from Penn Station.  It includes (1) the train ticket to get to Bay Shore Station (you must transfer at Babylon Station; don't worry, the transfer involves simply walking across the platform - it's the 1st stop after the transfer), (2) the David Brothers Taxi shuttle ticket to get to Fire Island Ferries, and (3) the ferry ticket to get to Ocean Beach...and all the tickets you need to get back to Penn Station.

We caught the 10:10 am train.  I won't lie.  It was a hike.  It took us about 2 hours to get there.  But it's worth it!!  We were ready for lunch rather than the beach by the time we got to Ocean Beach.  Since Ocean Beach is super strict about it's "No Food/Drinks" policy on the beach (except for water bottles), we ate lunch first and then hit the beach.  We were pleasantly surprised to find that the police continuously patrolled the beach for food/drink violators.


As a result, the beaches are pretty much pristine!


I'm all about packing light for the beach.  The last thing I want is to lug around a bag filled with sandy personal belongings and other bulky beach items.  Sunshine, however, wanted to bring chairs and an umbrella.  Thankfully, I convinced him that all we needed were beach blankets.  You can rent beach umbrellas from the lifeguards for $10 (or is it $15?) for the day.  It's first come first serve; so if you want an umbrella, stop by the lifeguard station first.

Here is the walk to the beach.  No cars are allowed on Fire Island so people get around by using golf carts and bicycles.  They transport items via little red wagons.  It's both weird and cute at the same time.


Here's another view of the beach:


Here's a view going back to the town center:


It takes all of 5 minutes (at most) to walk from the town center to the beach.  I think it took us a little longer because I kept on getting distracted by the cutes cottages and houses.

The prices of the restaurants were reasonable (and the seafood is fresh and a little cheaper than what you'd find in the city).  Maguire's make a really great pitcher of sangria.  The special for that day was a very generous lobster roll.  It was only $15!  Needless to say, we had a great lunch.  (Note: Per LIRR's website, we were supposed to get 10% off our lunch entrees with our LIRR coupon, but the restaurant waitstaff/manager seemed unaware of this promotion.)

For dinner, we went to a restaurant (I forget its name) that had a 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm (Weekend Happy Hour?) oyster, clam and beer special.  I gorged on oysters and pina coladas while Sunshine gorged on clams and beer.  We caught the 8:05 pm ferry back.  It was a much-better-than-expected beach day...we'll be going back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Some, Get Some...

Are you looking a particular style or item? Let me know (saletherapy@gmail.com) and I will post your request so that everyone can help you find your sale!

Have you seen a style or item on sale that someone else is looking for? Don't be stingy and share the wealth! Let me know so that I can post it.