Desperately Seeking ______________ on Sale...

What are you desperately seeking on sale?


Food Therapy

Good food is as satisfying as a good sale. So from time to time (probably more than that because I'm a foodie and I love to eat), I'll be providing some food therapy. Be forewarned, I'm an adventurous eater with a HUGE sweet tooth. If you're in NYC, I hope you try some of these spots. If you do, LMK what you think. Bon appetit!

Video Reviews

While picture reveals of bags are nice. Video reviews of bags are better! As such, I will endeavor to post as many video reviews of bags as possible. However, I will only be reviewing bags that I like. Life is too short to review bags that I dislike. Plus, at the end of the day, it really is just a matter of personal opinion/taste.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/user/SaleTherapy.

4.29.2010

Wax On, Wax Off!

Once in a very rare blue moon, I am pleasantly surprised with something related to the tortuous but necessary activity know as waxing.  Last week, there must have been a blue moon because I discovered the best hard wax ever!  And this wasn't something that occurred at a salon.  I'll let you in on a little secret:  when it comes to grooming down there, I prefer to do my own bikini line.  It's easier, cheaper and less painful because I use hard wax.  (Now it's confession time and please don't hate me: I have no experience when it comes to waxing my legs because I only have a few strands of hair.  I just pluck them away and I'm good to go for a few weeks.)

I purchase all of my waxing gear at Sally Beauty Supply.  If there's no b&m Sally Beauty Supply near you,  fret not.  Their website (www.sallybeauty.com) is fantastic!  If you're looking to buy a lot of stuff, join the Beauty Club Card.  It's costs $5 a year, but you'll save significantly more than that measly membership fee.  All items are priced lower with the Beauty Club Card.

Here's my fantastic find:  clean + easy Acai Berry Full Body Hard Wax!  It's usually $13.99, but it's currently on sale for $10.99.  This jar/tub will last you many waxing sessions.  If you do the math, you end up saving a lot!

The Acai Berry Full Body Hard Wax smells like a berry lotion and melts at a lower temperature than other hard wax that I've used.  I've found that the lower the melting point of a hard wax, the less it hurts. I like using hard wax because I found soft wax (the kind of wax that needs muslin strips) to be messy and hard to use.  With hard wax, you put it on, wait for it to harden and peel it off.  (I know...easier said than done.)

I like using the following pre-wax oil:  GiGi Pre-Epliation Oil.  It's $6.49 but $5.99 with the Sally Beauty Card.

I bought this on a whim and it really paid off.  Not only does the hard wax come off easier, it creates a layer of heat protection between your skin and the wax.  It lessens the pain of "waxing off" significantly!  

Here are the other items you'll need:
  • Wax Warmer:  I like GiGi's Space Saver Wax Warmer because it's much smaller than other wax warmers.  The only downside is that there's no wax temperature controller; you have to monitor the wax temperature yourself.  (NOTE:  ALWAYS test the wax temperature before you use it to prevent burning.  You can also twirl the wax applicator after dipping it in the wax to cool the wax a little.  But if you cool the wax too much, it won't "grab" your hairs.  Practice makes perfect!)  This is usually $24.99 but it's currently on sale for $21.99.
  • Wax Warmer Clean Collar:  You'll need collars to keep your wax warmer clean.  I use GiGi's version because I know that it'll fit my GiGi wax warmer; it's the round collar-like stiff paper that has GiGi written all over it.  It's $5.49 for a pack of 20, $4.99 with the Sally Beauty Card.  Unless you're super messy, they last for quite some time.
  • Wax Applicator:  The wax applicator is basically a larger popsicle stick.  I don't remember which brand I purchased but they're basically all the same and come in a big pack.

Waxing is kind of like shaving:  Apply the wax on in the direction your hair grows.  (Then pull off the wax in the opposite direction - against the direction your hair grows.)  I'd start with small patches until you get the hang of it.  
  
Tip:  To prevent in-grown hairs, try Tend Skin or Completely Bare's Bikini Bump Blaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Some, Get Some...

Are you looking a particular style or item? Let me know (saletherapy@gmail.com) and I will post your request so that everyone can help you find your sale!

Have you seen a style or item on sale that someone else is looking for? Don't be stingy and share the wealth! Let me know so that I can post it.