Desperately Seeking ______________ on Sale...

What are you desperately seeking on sale?


Food Therapy

Good food is as satisfying as a good sale. So from time to time (probably more than that because I'm a foodie and I love to eat), I'll be providing some food therapy. Be forewarned, I'm an adventurous eater with a HUGE sweet tooth. If you're in NYC, I hope you try some of these spots. If you do, LMK what you think. Bon appetit!

Video Reviews

While picture reveals of bags are nice. Video reviews of bags are better! As such, I will endeavor to post as many video reviews of bags as possible. However, I will only be reviewing bags that I like. Life is too short to review bags that I dislike. Plus, at the end of the day, it really is just a matter of personal opinion/taste.
VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/user/SaleTherapy.

6.21.2010

Food Therapy: Totto Ramen

There's something immensely satisfying about a really good bowl of ramen noodle soup.  No other noodle soup quite hits the same sweet spot for me.  I've been a regular of Yakitori Totto (a Japanese restaurant that specializes in grilled chicken skewers) for years, so of course I was very excited to try Totto's new ramen noodle shop: Totto Ramen (366 West 52nd St (b/w 8th & 9th Ave), NY, NY).


I love trying new restaurants but sometimes, I think I shouldn't go to soft openings because the menu looked like this:


All the side dishes were marked as "COMING SOON".  But you know what?  I went for the ramen, and that's what they were serving.  So I'm not complaining.

Totto Ramen is a very tiny noodle shop: counter seating and a couple of small tables.  It kind of reminded me of Momofuku Noodle Bar when it first opened - it was all about the ramen.
  • It was 2 guys behind the counter preparing your ramen order.  Counter Guy #1 cooked the noodles and readied the bowls.
  • Counter Guy #2 attended the ramen broth that you see in the big pot on the left.  Interestingly, the ramen broth was chicken-based rather than pork-based.  (Upon reflection, it's not so surprising because Totto is known for its chicken dishes.)  As a result, the ramen broth tasted like a cross between regular ramen pork broth and chicken soup.  I think the bigger pot on the right is either broth they were cooking for the next day or vegetarian broth for the vegetarian ramen dishes.
  • I couldn't not post this picture of Counter Guy #2 blow torching char siu pork!

I ordered the Totto Miso Ramen:


It was good but definitely not as good as the Akamaru Modern Ramen from Ippudo (for my Ippudo review, see this post:  Food Therapy: Ippudo Ramen Noodle).  I think Foodette's Totto Spicy Ramen was tastier (albeit slightly oilier due to the spicy oil):

  
The wait was about 30 mins, though we were quote 45 - 60 mins.  Am I going back?  Yes...to try the side dishes.  Totto Ramen won't be replacing Ippudo for me but it's a welcome addition to Hell's Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Some, Get Some...

Are you looking a particular style or item? Let me know (saletherapy@gmail.com) and I will post your request so that everyone can help you find your sale!

Have you seen a style or item on sale that someone else is looking for? Don't be stingy and share the wealth! Let me know so that I can post it.